Roads Untravelled: My Village Walk in Kannur, Kerala

The day after the temple tour, while discussing the day’s plans over our early morning breakfast, Indu (Blue Mermaid homestay host) came up with something completely offbeat from Kerela’s much-hyped regular charms like the temples and the beaches – A simple nature walk to explore the nearby area, including a village set amidst palm trees on the periphery of the Thottada beach in Kannur.

A nature walk?

Yes, and there is a local Shree Krishna Temple also a little down the town,
do visit that, it is beautiful. (next diary entry)

A few more minutes and I found myself walking down the long and narrow winding roads of Thottada village devoid of any maddening crowds. A perfect tonic to get rejuvenated in God’s own country, I thought and so it was, in the end... leaving me wanting for more. I spent around an hour or so assimilating all that I could in the haven of peace and have today brought back some memories presented below as a few striking highlights from my walk, have a look!


A Photo Essay from the Thottada village in Kannur, Kerala:

1. People:

Free from the urban trappings of monotony and not chained to cell phones, computers, internet, etc. life of the people here is simple revolving around the everyday chores of life...


Daily life in the village of Kannur, Kerala
A man goes about with his work

Yet, they manage to break themselves from the frustrating shackles of daily drudgery.

A family in the village of Kannur, Kerala
Inside a house: Spot the smiling couple towards the extreme of the picture.
I was busy in capturing the little lad but he seemed least interested in me.

Step in their routine and you will be welcomed with a fresh heart and a warm smile; in spite of a visibly stark language barrier between you and them, that is. I did manage to get a healthy dose of their warmth each time I had an opportunity to strike an interaction. Be it the bunch of girls who couldn’t stop giggling while I struggled to draw water from the well or the toothless granny who never shied away even a bit from flashing a wide grin when I asked the way to the Krishna Temple...

A well in the village of Kannur, Kerala
Hear the echo of the girl's giggling

I found the people of the village deeply inspiring in their own unique ways leaving subtle imprints on my heart to be cherished for today... tomorrow, forever.

2. Houses:

Houses rooted in a cozy earthy demeanor and ensconced in a cluster of greens constitute a major part in making the village what it is, simple, humble and inviting.
 

Traditional house in the village of Kannur, Kerala
A traditional house in the village of Kannur, Kerala
Houses, traditional and earthy

Cow dung fence, village of Kannur, Kerala
A stone and mud fence

3. Hushed silences:

Here, tranquility is supreme. Traffic is almost nil, both vehicular and pedestrian. The equations reduce; it’s you and nature.


Village trail of Kannur, Kerala
Village track of Kannur, Kerala

Roads untravelled

Your soft steps maneuvering the untravelled roads dotted with palm trees, the whispers of the wind ripping the grasses open, the gurgling of the sea and the chirping of the birds are in perfect rhythmic harmony. But for these sounds, the village is quiet... so quiet that the quiet is almost disquieting especially for an urban dweller like me. And yet, you never feel lonely here.

Waves in the village walk of Kannur, Kerala

The company of Nature is enough for you.

Travel Tips:

An impromptu village walk is something that guide books or tour operators rarely recommend yet it is an activity that promises satisfaction for all those who truly seek. So, go for it, get away from the humdrum and take a breather close to nature and your roots. Many a times, simple journeys like these make for beautiful moments worth remembering.

Post a Comment

61 Comments

  1. wonderful pictures and lovely narration. Simplicity redefined .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really LIKE this! I think I would have had a ball if you took me with you. Now, what is that long tube for the echo? And what is that long row of antlers or horns, I cannot figure out what they are and what their purpose is. I have never seen a stone and mud fence before. The beautiful walk with all the palm trees, and the water, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your lovely and kind comment, Ginny. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the walk, I am sure you would love it if you could be there in person.

      The long tube is actually a well, I met a few girls there drawing water from it. The long horn like things are parts of coconut trees, not exactly sure of its name and purpose though.. but I think they are kept there either to keep the house cool or some kind of support system, perhaps.

      Delete
  3. Those hushed silences are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Arti! This is one reason I never like to go by suggested itinerary and like to explore the lesser known facets of the new place:) Lovely writing as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Rahul sir. And my Kannur trip went a lot like this, unplanned. There is a certain joy in exploring the unexplored and appreciating the simple joys in life :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Arti...That's the real traveler are, going walk off the track, seeing an usual sight, build new view, and in the end cultivate a sense of gratitude and also high understanding with everything around.

    You should do more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly Mareta :) what you say is cent percent true. Opening ourselves to new sounds and smells and getting ourselves to appreciate the beauty in the same is one of the real joys of travelling, I am so glad I got a chance to do it in this walk and I wish to keep exploring many more places and roads like these, every time I travel.

      Delete
  6. I feel happy for you have experienced what rural life means here. My own village is similarly located and I am here at Paliakara right now away from the busy life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate very well to all is said and seen thru pics here. My relatives stay in villages and we get to see these scenes regularly when I visit Kerala.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an afternoon walk in this village.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arti, Awesome post ,Great writeup and photos. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    ~Have a nice weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are nice place to walk around. It's peaceful and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. you never fail to inspire me wherever you travel...your heart that sees beauty in nature and the innate goodness of man and the simplicity of life is what I love most...I really would love to one day meet you in person....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, kulasa. Your goodness clearly shines through in your comments. To meet a blogger whose words never fail to leave a smile on my face would be so much more than just pleasure, I really hope to see that day soon when I can take some inspiration from a kind hearted soul like you, in person :)

      Delete
  12. The India missed by most of the visitors :), but this is where the essence of India still lives and our traditions continue.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Hello, Arti.

      Your exquisite work leads my impression.
      The passion for the art.  It is universal.

      Thank you visit to my garden.
      The prayer for all peace.

    Have a good weekend. From Japan, friday night  ruma❃

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely!. How many people are still living such simple lives? All of have moved out to these concrete jungles.

    Hats off to those who move back to villages, if anyone does now.

    Thanks for sharing this simple village site. Gandhiji said India lives in villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, in times like these when majority of us have drifted towards fast paced urbanization.. the simplicity these villages still offer comes as a wonderful relief. As desi traveler also mentioned in his comment, it feels so good to see and experience the real essence of India, of our roots and traditions that continue to thrive and flourish in our villages.

      Delete
  15. Loving that here is a place where tranquility is supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your kind comments and feedback @Everyone. :-) I am very happy I could take you to a simple village in India through some sights I could capture in my camera and words. But I must say, the village walk was a lot more beautiful than what I have shown here, my write-up fails to do justice to it's beauty in entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These visits are really amazing. As part of our program, we go to villages around our college. They don't even know who we are, but each time we go, they used to offer us something. We can't resist. Been brought up in cities, where everything is done after mental calculation, these people just make us feel bad by showering their love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks very much Arti for posting these lovely photos. It brought back lots of memories like drawing water from the well, eating the food cooked by using wood and especially coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Arti,
    Just check out your site and found some favorable information about travel. Kannur is very exciting place in kerala tourism. great post with nice photo shot. Very interesting…really enjoyed reading this article.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another escape led by your ever heart felt words of a place you so enjoyed. I always enjoy when you go to such special nature places. I am missing it a bit right now as the mosquitoes are sooo bad here at this time of the summer, but much worse this year. I have been working so hard on gardening and projects, this Sunday I truly took the day off and spent a couple hours reading a book and now some time visiting blogging friends. Life is so busy now I am missing those quiet moments to meditate about a blog, But I am hoping by visiting fellow bloggers it will spur me to try and find time for a new blog for a window to my world. I have plenty to say and photos just have to get a few hours of time to get it all organized and what I want to share. You seem to make the writing and sharing of information and photos so easy. Well happy blogging to you.
    Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautiful aarti .spells peace all over :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We could explore or learn more while at foot rather on wheels. The house is inviting as well the tranquil road! You end it very beautifully with the picture on sea. Kerala is blessed with best natural setting. I am yet to explore this country soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl's giggling seems to reach me. The sound must have been cute,reflecting to the deep well. As your writing is so nice,I can imagine easily. Kannur sound like a thrilling place.
    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds wonderful! The way to learn about how the people of an area really live, instead of what the tour director wants you to see. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing places, fantastic photos:) Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  26. The most of our Country is like this only. Colorful, green, fascinating. But still we don't knw about this beautiful villages. Please carry on of doing this information giving work. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are beautiful photos. I always love to see that peaceful place. The little boy in the second photo is adorable.
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your narratives refreshingly touched my heart. If ever I walked on that narrow winding path in person, your voice of these narratives would resonate inside me while hearing the sound of nature outside.

    I’m not sure how you like your rainy season, but I wanted our rainy season to last longer. I’m worn out by the heat wave.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like a great place Arti - wow, India is like a dream country - so many different sides to it! Have a fantstic day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful Village & Awesome Snaps.
    Your Pics Remind Me About the Show Named Malgudi Days.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are right, walking and exploring any place on foot is best. Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  32. hushed silences, the echo of the girls, so love this nature walk where the simplicity of life abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  33. during my trek in Himachal Pradesh....we did a trek through villages also..i had the same experience of quietness that is there is the village as you walk through it...it is such a different experience~

    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic pictures, Arti. And couldn't help admiring this little patch of nature that you have been exploring and documenting. Awesome narration!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Totally agree about simple journeys. Describing the people in your list first makes this photo essay a heartwarming read. I love this post, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing this post.

    I am also looking forward for these nature walks in villages, never experienced this but it seems they are truly gorgeous.

    Your blog is very informative. I added you in blogroll list. Thanks for all the offbeat places you shared...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is magnificent, let alone the content!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Delighted you stopped by... Your suggestions, feedback are really appreciated. Thanks a lot :) Hope you visit again!

If you have asked a question, please give me at least 2 days to reply back. Thank you :)