Where to Stay in Kyoto: New Miyako Hotel

Day 6 in Nara: NEW MIYAKO HOTEL, A REVIEW - Heian Jingu Shrine - Nanzenji temple and grounds - Nijojyo Castle - Golden Pavilion Temple

Even as our train continued to speed past the scenic countryside and the setting sun burnt the skies with a wipe of dramatic yellow, I found myself admiring the paper snowwhite and Redrose had handed over to me, when we had parted just a few minutes before.

Use this to find the way to your hotel in Kyoto...


After living every moment that life had rolled my way, we had finally waved goodbye to a place replete with beauty, culture, history, homeliness, warmth, hospitality... and friends, all packed into one - Nara. Two days in Nara had flown by in a whiffy and though Kyoto was supposed to be the one more popular amongst the two destinations, according to the various guidebooks for all that we read, I now doubted if it could ever beat the magic of my entire Nara experience.

Even as my mind filled up with thoughts like these, Hotel New Miyako – our place of overnight stay in Kyoto was gearing up to offer some sort of consolation.

Hotel New Miyako, Kyoto: A Review


At first glance:

It promised one word and that was - Luxury! It’s grand lavish exteriors were inviting and could easily pass of as any 5 star hotel in India.

Entrance to the Hotel New Miyako, Kyoto in Japan
Entrance to the Hotel New Miyako, Kyoto

What added to it’s alluring appeal, however, were the exceptionally reasonable room tariffs that the hotel had offered to us on account of booking it online. Excellent, both for the looks as well as value for money.

Room, Interiors and Ambiance:


After admiring the exteriors, we made our way towards our pre-booked standard twin room.

Verandah of the New Miyako hotel in Kyoto - Japan
Way to the room

Warm and wood toned, the room had everything in place -

Room at New Miyako hotel in Kyoto - Japan
Fluffy beds

Complete tea making kit at New Miyako hotel in Kyoto - Japan
Complete tea making kit

Japanese art in the room at New Miyako hotel in Kyoto - Japan
Japanese art

... And, oodles of serenity. Just the kind you want after a long, hectic day.

Speeding views: 


Perched on the 7th floor, the views from the window were amazing, with the lit up streets at night,

The view from the balcony of New Miyako hotel in Kyoto - Japan
The view from the balcony at night

... And the Bullet zooming past every now and then during the day.

Shinkansen Bullet train from the window of the hotel New Miyako, Kyoto - Japan
Shinkansen Bullet train from the hotel window

Easy accessibility: It’s proximity to the Shinkansen/ JR/ Kintetsu Kyoto station makes it easier to locate and also serves as a good starting point for getting around.

Things I missed: Free Internet connectivity with my room tariff, something that I had enjoyed while my stay in Tokyo (please note that the hotel has free wi-fi) and my Villa fontaine bread - butter – orange juice breakfast, two things I wished for while my stay in Kyoto.

Overall Conclusions - Highly Recommended: 

Though it was a very short stay of one night, the high degree of comfort, value for money and relaxation infused in the various elements of the hotel so also it's proximity to the Kyoto station have ensured that I’ve bookmarked the hotel for the next time, if ever there is one that is!

Tips for travelers:

1. Book online and save yourself some money: Do not forget to avail the online booking facility and get access to huge discounts on the room tariffs.

Sample this – Our standard twin sized room (26 m. sq. in size), otherwise priced at 32,340 Yen, cost us only around 9000 Yen - thanks to stardust and cosmos who booked it for us via the hotel’s internet reservation form!

For reservations and enquiries, you can visit – http://www.miyakohotels.ne.jp


Address: Hachijyo-guchi, Kyoto station, Kyoto.
Contact: (075) 661-7111

Previous Posts from the Japan Trip -

1. Planning for Japan: Visa, Flight Bookings, Hotel Reservations, etc.
2. Sunrise pictures from the flight to Japan 

3. Entire Day 1 of Japan (includes Review of Hotel Villa Fontaine Roppongi, Tokyo, Expedia Japan Office Meet: An Afternoon to Remember)

Post a Comment

50 Comments

  1. It looks very comfortable and convenient. Love that paper slip of translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like a great hotel! Just the kind you want to have on a long trip! Wonderful captures as always Arti!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so interesting to see the inside of something that looks so fancy and modern on the outside! And also to see what a non-American hotel looks like and the differences. Is there T.V. in the rooms? Maybe your country does not watch like we do here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. from mountains of Himalayas to techie Kyoto.. Yatra moves!

    Weakest LINK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice place arti, i love the orange colour in the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone :-)

    @Ginny: Yes, there was one but no use to us as all the channels were in the local language - Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You stayed at a great hotel I would like to stay there, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to read you post Arti.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those fluffy beds look super comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. good post. had stayed in kawasaki daishi for a few weeks and can never forget the japanese experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a pity that real great innovation at the highest range is still rare in the hotels business...at the very top end, you can never tell the country - or even the continent - of a hotel by looking at a room from inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Arti...Looks like a good hotel, and I am glad that it was not those really small rooms that some hotels in Japan have. Really liked the picture of bullet train, almost looks like the front of a plane.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. So neat and tidy -- looks like another great travel experience Arti!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I checked the blogs of snowwhite and redrose and I was feeling low to have such a plain blog name...:(

    I'll take your recommendation. I think whenever anyone from Indiblogger will plan a trip to Japan, they will surely refer your post. BTW, when are you going to Melbourne?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful place. I'd sure love to stay there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yes, I suspect that once visiting Nara it would linger in your heart. I see this from Snowwhite's website and her photos. Your room looked to be very comfortable, but I too would miss Wi-Fi in the room. Perhaps that's a good thing - saving time otherwise spent on-line! I like the Bullet Train, did you ride? (maybe I missed that post). Your travel guide is superb, much useful information and I'm glad you showed us the inside of the hotel. happy week to you Arti.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Arti,
    Hope this finds you well.

    My name is Madhu Nair and I run 10YearItch.com (India Travel Portal).

    We have introduced a new series of Traveler Interviews where we interview India travel enthusiasts.

    The idea is to inspire people to get off their comfort zone and to experience the real India.

    We wanted to enquire if you would be available for the above Interview Series.

    Like all our interviews, this would be an email based interview, where we email you the questions and you can answer them via email.

    Here is are couple of links of our published interviews :

    http://10yearitch.com/category/interviews/

    I shall look forward to hearing from you.

    Regards,
    Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a nice hotel, and I hope everything went well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice looking place. I wish that was my itinerary!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You got a good deal and the room looks fairly large and comfortable. Nice review and photos to help future visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the view from the hotel balcony and the sight of the bullet train from the hotel :) I would love to have some tea with you there...thank you again for taking us to a beautiful place virtually...may your day be blessed always :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You were so fortunate to get a nice hotel at a good bargain!
    I knew online booking but it was a surprise at such a big difference.
    You must've had a goodnight sleep after a long hectic schedule in Nara and for the final exploration in Kyoto the following day. I remember your smile, Arti.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankyou for the interesting review on the hotel.I too found the hotels in Japan really excellent and staff so helpful. I loved my visit to Japan. I didn't however get to Nara but did see Kyoto.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,Arti
    We are happy that paper was helpful for you.I was surprised to see that you have still kept the paper...Please keep it until we meet again in Nara!!! Now I am recalling your charming smile on your face.
    Have a good day!
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  25. good post and good photographs... will be of great use to people travelling to Japan...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there - did not know about the coincidence of our National Days. I may have travelled on that train!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you everyone. I hope this post can serve as a good help to all those who plan a trip to Kyoto and are looking for a good place to stay.

    @ cosmos: …And I remember yours :)

    @ Madhu, Ten Year Itch: Thank you. I like the initiative and would love to be a part of this. Please write to me further at 22arti(at)gmail(dot)com.

    @ Ms Becky: True perspective. The hotel’s internet café had separate charges and though the room had wifi, it was useless to me since I was not carrying a laptop.

    I did ride the Shinkasen (Bullet Train) from Tokyo to Nara and back again. Here is the link, please go through if you would like to have a read -
    Shinkansen Bullet Train in Japan


    @ Saru: You are right, Saru :) Their blog names are indeed very creative and their content is very rich too. Regarding Melbourne, things still lying in the pipeline.

    @kulasa: Would love to have your company, anyday :)

    @Red Rose: haha, tomoko-san.. you wouldn’t believe but I have many more things like these still very neatly stacked and treasured in my bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It'S nice to visit Kyoto. Miyako hotel is very near to the Kyoto railway station.
    I expect your next post about Kyoto sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Not at all what I was expecting, I think the inside is so much nicer than I had imagined looking at the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is always so interesting to me the many ways there are to save money on hotel rooms, air fares,cruises, pretty much any travel! The smart planner can save a bundle.

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, another great tips for a visit to Kyoto and Japan, wow, did not know you have posted 7 already about your trip to Japan, love it, very helpful for those planning for visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I’m happy to know that you were so satisfied with the hotel. I smiled to remember that we (cosmos and I) didn’t know your family name and booked a room as Arti Yatra. :-) As you know, accommodation fee is so costly in Japan, so booking online is highly recommended.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Yoko (and cosmos) for helping us out with the hotel bookings.

      To find everything organized, planned and booked for us well in advance gave us a wonderful feeling once we were there, in Japan. I remember very well about the name, it makes me smile too... the blog, the yatra had been a beautiful connector throughout... Thank you once again and kindly excuse me for my being lazy and replying late here.

      Delete
  33. Do you, Arti? hahaha.... surprising!!
    Thank you!
    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  34. awesome snap of the bullet train passing right through the heart of the city !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great review, Arti. I'd love to experience the serenity and homeliness you describe. Just the thing you want after a long day on the road.

    Love the sound of the word Nara -- at least the way I think it should sound.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A beautiful hotel deserving of a 5 start tag! Wonderful pics too Arti! Serenity is something I look forward to in a Hotel and I found it in the pics you shared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with you when you say It could beat any Indian 5 star hotel. Specially the view outside was great with Bullet train flying there.
    you must had a great there :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like a great place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks like a great hotel to stay in Kyoto..... A nice review to add with..... Thanks for the share...

    ReplyDelete
  40. It is a delight to read your travel posts Arti,they are warm with a personal touch!

    ReplyDelete

Delighted you stopped by... Your suggestions, feedback are really appreciated. Thanks a lot :) Hope you visit again!

If you have asked a question, please give me at least 2 days to reply back. Thank you :)